Subscribe

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

ABIDING is not passive...

John 8

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” 


How does one KNOW INTIMATELY anyone, anything, or any subject? He or she must spend time with it/that person! Take music for example. 

  • I could spend months sitting in the same room as my guitar and never become familiar with how it works. 
  • I could spend time listening to someone play guitar either live or recorded and it may give me one step more familiarity, at least I know how it sounds.
  • I could pick it up and strum it every so often and play what I already know how to play... that would build familiarity around those songs and skills. 
But If I am ever to become intimately familiar with the guitar, not just A guitar but MY GUITAR specifically...

  • I must spend time playing it as often as possible.
  • I must spend time reading and learning about things I didn't know about it.
  • I must learn and practice NEW techniques and skills. 
  • I must be purposeful in my time with the guitar to become proficient. 

Therefore I must spend time with HIS word, not just reading...
  • Read it
  • Think about it
  • Ask questions about it
  • Pray about it with purpose
  • Repeat all this over and over throughout each day.

I can't just put my bible down and forget what I read. That is NOT abiding. 

I must think about what I've been reading throughout the day, ask myself how I'm going to change or grow according to and consistent with what I read. In between calls and tasks and duties... Meditate on that word....




Darrell G. Wolfe



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp