Subscribe

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Have you ever stopped to look at today, in light of eternity?



The mind of God is fascinating. 


We are so quick to put Him into our religious box. We are so quick to say the Truth is X or Y; when He has said nothing definitive on the topic. Tonight I came across this awesome website where you can start with today, and see it in light of today, this month, year, century, this past 11,500 years, the past 6.5 billion years.... Etc. It really puts things in perspective.


Image of timeline. Today in light of the last 11,500 years. http://hereistoday.com
Attribution: http://hereistoday.com

This got me thinking:


2 Peter 3:8 | But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 
Psalm 90:4 | A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.


Phil Vischer, creator of Veggie Tales and What's in the Bible with Buck Denver, has a great podcast. He and his entourage of friends and guests take on topics from wild to profound, and make us think about our Christian Faith in a more real and meaningful way. And no guest helps bring this about more than the frequent guest John Walton (here).

On many of the podcasts in which John Walton guest hosted, the topic of creation came up. John is a professor of Old Testament Studies for Wheaton College. He makes a compelling case for the idea that the bible does not necessarily rule out an old earth, or evolution. For today's purposes, I'll let you listen to him yourself (here) if you want to know more. The bottom line, is that he is neither for nor against a young earth, old earth, etc. He merely states that the text was never designed to answer that question, and any assertion that it does is presumption on the part of the reader.

I digress....

All of this ran through my mind and led me to this point:


  • 11,500 years ago, God is. 
  • 1.5 million years ago, God is. 
  • 8 billion years ago, God is. 


TODAY feels so big to me. 


TODAY feels more heavy than yesterday, and more pressing than tomorrow. TODAY... is overwhelming.

But in the experience of God, today isn't even the blink of an eye. Yet despite this, God is interested in today. In fact, God is more aware of how today will affect my next 100 years than I could even imagine. Today a serial killer is making the decision to kill for the first time. Today a sinner is making the decision to accept forgiveness and spend eternity with God. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Today I will either work toward my tomorrow, or perpetuate my past. Tweet That

I think I will take a few moments today, and spend it with the one who is currently in the past, present, and future at the same time. I'll get a glimpse of His perspective, and see what insights that might bring.

Your Turn:


What will you do today?



Comment on this post, or Hit me up on Twitter @DarrellWolfe , Google +DarrellWolfe, Facebook DarrellGWolfe, Etc...


Tweet These:
#TellYourStory#BeStillBeLed

By Darrell Wolfe








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp