Subscribe

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Answer to: Stress, Distress, and Depression

I was reading and studying today. I came across this passage.

1 Samuel 30:6 (New King James Version)
6 Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

1 Samuel 30:6 - Interlinear Bible
6 And David was greatly distressed ; for the people spake of stoning him, because thesoul of all the people was grieved , every man for his sons and for his daughters: butDavid encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

Encourage/Strengthen here is the Hebrew Word: Chazaq / qeZ;x.tiY;w
"to strengthen, prevail, harden, be strong, become strong, be courageous, be firm, grow firm, be resolute, be sore"

Sometimes following great victory there arises a situation or circumstance that could open the door for distress or depression. The devil wants nothing more than to steal your joy and victory. I have found in my own life a roller coaster effect. One minute I feel as though I could conquer the world and nothing could stop me. An hour later the wrong glance from my wife or news that something didn't happen the way I planned or expected and I feel that I am never going to get where I need to be. This roller coaster comes from a lack of perspective. How often have I looked back on a time of stress and distress, or even depression, and wondered: "Now why was I so concerned about that?"

Like in high school when an embarrassing event happened and I just knew I could never return to school again. If the same thing happened to me today I might either play it off or maybe not even truly care about it at all. Perspective.

What did David do here? He encouraged himself in the Lord. He strengthened himself. How did he do this? One thing we can assume from his hundreds of Psalms is that he probably sang, if only to himself. He reminded himself of the goodness of God. He inquired of the Lord.

It's not God's responsibility to encourage me if I am depressed or distressed. It's mine. I must encourage MYSELF to live in constant victory.

Notice that He was distressed, emotionally. His wife's were missing. He was terrified for their well being. Finally he got a hold of himself and rose up to take authority over the situation and get them back!

Verse 8 And David enquired at the LORD, saying , Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them?

David took action. Paul said it this way: Stir Yourself Up... to stir is to agitate, mix, and move around, Websters 1828 Dictionary.


2 Timothy 1:6 KJV

Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.



2 Peter 1:13 KJV

Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;



2 Peter 3:1 KJV

This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:


When stress and distress come on you start to agitate the Word of God in you by calling it to remembrance and repeating it aloud. Mix it with Faith and call those things which be not as though they are. And move around physically. The act of physical movement has a definite impact on the mind and spirit. Start walking around the room preaching to yourself the Word of God. Sing, Dance, Praise God despite your feelings. Watch the atmosphere chance around you as you become the thermostat instead of the thermometer of the situation.

Darrell G. Wolfe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp