Subscribe

Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2020

The end of self...

What if suffering isn't good or evil, it just is. And our response is what matters?

"When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain. After he sat down his disciples came to him. Then he began to teach them by saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God. “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to them. “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things about you falsely on account of me. Rejoice and be glad because your reward is great in heaven, for they persecuted the prophets before you in the same way."
Matthew 5:1‭-‬12 NET
https://bible.com/bible/107/mat.5.1-12.NET

We are so quick to look for physical beauty, strength, education, success... And point these out as the epicenter of virtue. 

But one thing I've learned this past few years, is that suffering produces perseverance, patience, and character.

If...

If it's responded to correctly. 

Or...

Suffering could also produce bitterness, selfishness, depression. Wow is me.

The difference seems to be whether we allow the event to turn is inward to focusing on self or outward to focusing on God. 

I do not recognize the man I was this time last year. I expect this time next year I'll be doing things I've been avoiding all my life.

I never imagined I could say this... But I'm grateful for the character I have today, despite (never because of) the things I had to go through to get here. 

I will never be grateful for the trials but I can be grateful for the changes they induced. 

God's first choice is our willing reliance on Him. But reliance on him through any means is sweet. 

Selah








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp