Subscribe

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Even if I am right, I guess I can still be wrong... sometimes.

Note

*This is to be read with a certain self-sarcasm, a facetious tongue-in-cheek haughtiness.*


Photo by Belinda Fewings on Unsplash
Now receive the one who is weak in the faith, and do not have disputes over differing opinions. NET Bible Romans 14:1

I got an attitude check last night. 


Often I'm so sure I'm right about some point (and I usually am) that I make blanket statements other's either misunderstand or vehemently disagree with.

Among other issues, they couldn't possibly come to the same conclusion I had about this issue unless they had first come with me on the journey for all the other revelations leading up to it.

Also, there may be more loving less dogmatic ways of communicating this new insight without alienating well-meaning (if wrong) people.

Furthermore, I can communicate an accurate statement in a wrong attitude and by extension be wrong myself. For attitude, not facts, is the bigger and more important sign of spiritual and emotional maturity.

In addition, it's possible (however unlikely) that I am wrong about this new insight, or at least (more likely), I'm not seeing all there is to see about that thing.

Lastly, if I am loving people well it means I must be open to seeing what they see. I may even deepen my understanding of a thing if I listen to their perspectives instead of arguing with them. Sometimes I may even change my mind. In rare instances, I may even help them see my perspective. In the rarest of instances, they may even come around to my way of seeing it.

In any event, the person and not the fact is the real point of any communication. If you beat people down with your facts and lose the person, you have lost that round of communication; no matter if you were "right".

Even if I am right, I guess I can still be wrong... sometimes.

Thanks for indulging me,

Shalom: Live Long and Prosper!
Darrell Wolfe (DG Wolfe)
Storyteller | Writer | Thinker | Consultant @ DarrellWolfe.com

Clifton StrengthsFinder: Intellection, Learner, Ideation, Achiever, Input
16Personalities (Myers-Briggs Type): INFJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp