Subscribe

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Fight to enter the rest

It's official... I'm on a theme. REST. I was listening to Keith Moore from the Great Lakes Believers Conventions 2005 which was given to me as a partner gift a few years ago. He talked about REST, which has become a theme in my prayer and study.

The true fight of faith is not about struggling to get our confessions right, or battle doubt, or try to believe harder or better or more. It's not any of the things I so often make it about. It's not about me being a better christian or walking in more consistent faith so I can earn enough brownie points to get what I want. It's not a rewards card with points to redeem. There are aspects of some of these things involved in a life of faith. But the good fight of faith really is not any of these.

The good fight of faith is about me laying hold of eternal life. Eternal means without beginning and end, that which always was, is, and will be. Life means the absolute fullness of the life-force of God. We know Faith is the material substance of things hoped for (expected; not wished for). We know that faith is the substance that God used to create the worlds, heaven, earth, etc. He didn't create them out of nothing, he created them out of a substance that cannot be seen. Faith is that substance.

I am also to labor/be diligent to enter into the rest of God, ceasing from my own works. Unbelief keeps me from resting. I cannot rest if I have unbelief. Therefore in order to REST I must battle unbelief. Or rather I battle unbelief through REST! I am also to stand fast in faith. This standing is also resting. Much like the children of Israel sent their worshipers ahead in the battle and they didn't have to lift a finger to fight, but God fought for them, so it is through our praise that we enter into the rest of God.

It could literally be said that we fight not with swords or even lawsuits but with praise! It was praise that set Paul and Silas free of chains and saved the jailers family!

So I am to lay hold of the absolute fullness of the living force of God that is without beginning and end. I am to labor/be diligent to enter into that rest where I cease from MY works and let God fight my battles for me. 


This rest is not inactive. It may require that I praise when I don't feel like it. It may require I get up, get dressed, and face my enemies and start singing at them. It may require that I started singing God's praise in the middle of a horrible situation when it's the last things I "feel" like doing. But if I will do this; if I will enter the rest through praise, song, hymns, and spiritual songs, making melody in my heart to God, singing His Word... 


God Fights on my behalf. That is REST!

BACK GROUND:
Interlinear Studies:
Hebrews 4 
Timothy 6

Hebrews 4:10-16 (The Webster Bible)
10 For he that hath entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.) 11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12 For the word of God [is] living, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened to the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest, that hath passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast [our] profession. 15 For we have not a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but who was in all points tempted as [we are], [yet] without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Timothy 6:11-12 (The Webster Bible)
11 But thou, O man of God, flee from these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

Galatians 5:1 WBT
Stand fast therefore in the liberty with which Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.


Ephesians 6:14 WBT
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breast-plate of righteousness;


Philippians 4:1 WBT
Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, [my] dearly beloved.


Darrell G. Wolfe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice, Be Kind, Be Thoughtful, Be Honest, Be Creative...GO!

Subscribe

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

Powered by MailChimp